The Widows Home of Dayton is a nonprofit skilled nursing long term care and rehab facility whose mission is “carrying forward the benevolence of its founders, since 1872, to meet the needs of its residents.” This past June, The Foodbank welcomed Widows Home of Dayton as a member agency, receiving food and support to provide healthy meals to their residents.
Founded in 1872, the Widows Home originally cared for the widows of Civil War soldiers and, in subsequent decades, widows or destitute women “of good moral character” who needed shelter. The Home operated out of several different buildings over the years, the most grand of which was a three story Victorian home built in 1883 at its current address on S. Findlay Street in East Dayton on land donated by Dayton banker, William Huffman.
In 1999, the Home became Medicare and Medicaid certified, transforming the Home to a fully certified, skilled nursing facility and, in year 2000, became home to men as well as women. With 50 long term care residents and 25 short term rehab patients, the Widows Home continues to serve the community as a 501c3 non-profit organization and is operated by a volunteer board of directors comprised of local men and women with a variety of backgrounds, including physicians, nurses, bankers, business and nonprofit leaders.
Jenny Warner, Executive Director of Widows Home, says, “The Widows Home is thrilled to have the support of the Foodbank for our ‘Fresh Fare’ program to enhance our resident’s diets with fresh fruits and vegetables and other healthy foods.”
The Foodbank is happy to have Widows Home of Dayton as a partner in solving hunger in the Miami Valley!